Board title: Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

Category name: General

Forum name: General Topics

Posted by: steve s
Date: 12-12-2010 19:32:41
hi can you tell me what would my pc do if the mother board was buggered.i think some one tried to rip me off.had a problem about 6 weeks ago and a pc fixer offered to remove my music / vid / and photos for free as long as he could keep my SCRAP pc .he said the mother board was fc uked .just got it back from pc world and its fine ,he told me what would happen if it were the mother board but i want a second opinion .thanks.steve
Posted by: meooo
Date: 12-12-2010 19:51:29
no
Date: 12-12-2010 20:01:24

Icon - Post link meooo wrote:

no
what would i do with out you mate
Posted by: Predictable Bob
Date: 12-12-2010 20:06:10
:(

Unfortunately thats a very open question - far more info's needed to make a serious diagnosis ...

To start with what were the original symptoms of your problem ?

:rolleyes:
Date: 12-12-2010 20:24:13
ok the guy that fixed my pc at pc world today said that if the mother board had been dead then you wouldn't be able to turn the pc on it would be totally dead .that wasn't the case it would come on but freeze for anything from 10 mins to 3 days until it wouldnt start at all .so going by what the pc world bod said it wasn't the mother board so was the first bloke trying rip me off
Date: 12-12-2010 20:55:56

By my interpretation of a 'dead' motherboard then the PC wouldn't start HOWEVER the symptoms you describe could be anything from lack of 'housekeeping', intermittent memory or disk faults, software conflicts or a host of other issues

My first action without any diagnostics or test gear would be to run through a full housekeeping routine and then a complete defrag, if that didn't clear the problem I'd reload the OS

What did the PC World charge you for ?

Date: 12-12-2010 21:18:33
well pc world found that windows updates were the problem there were errors with updates and the pc had doubled up on updates basically made a mess of things so he cleaned up and put updates were they should have gone and all is very well didn't cost me a thing as the ins comp messed up (its a long story).the thing is the local pc fixer said it was the mother board ,and im thinking he said that so i would just hand over my pc and go buy another one .but i was told if the mother board is fc uked it wouldn't start let alone anything else .can the mother board be knackerd and the pc still work ?.i dont think ill use him again ,pc world seemes the best bet
Date: 12-12-2010 21:18:55

Icon - Post link Predictable Bob wrote:

What did the PC World charge you for ?

Probably cos they fixed it?  :D
Posted by: Sancho
Date: 12-12-2010 21:19:53
Yeah, what did PC world fix?  If those dipshits could fix it, it can't have been much.

'Dead' motherboard could be lots of things.  What you describe could be a fault with a component on the mother board but it would be loads easier to tell if you got ripped off if you could share what was actually wrong with it.
Posted by: stormforce
Date: 12-12-2010 21:20:22
i have just had to get my parent computer repaired and that was due to the mother board packing up.The computer fired up but just kept a black screen and by pressing i think F11 on start up it came up as [ I'm lucky ]
Date: 12-12-2010 21:24:14

Icon - Post link stormforce wrote:

i have just had to get my parent computer repaired and that was due to the mother board packing up.The computer fired up but just kept a black screen and by pressing i think F11 on start up it came up as [ I'm lucky ]
Isn't that a sign the battery is flat?
Posted by: Albannach
Date: 12-12-2010 22:26:03
I'm confused.  Did the PC Start?  Does it try to start and then do nothing?  Does it start to load Windoze then hang?
Date: 13-12-2010 03:57:08

Icon - Post link steve s wrote:

ok the guy that fixed my pc at pc world today said that if the mother board had been dead then you wouldn't be able to turn the pc on it would be totally dead .that wasn't the case it would come on but freeze for anything from 10 mins to 3 days until it wouldnt start at all .so going by what the pc world bod said it wasn't the mother board so was the first bloke trying rip me off
:whistle:

PS
Steve, thinking about it a little, if your original repair guy was any good he should be at least as competent as Mr PC World so should have been ab;le to sort it pretty quickly.  I'm also surprised that he didn't suggest replacing the mb if he genuinely thought it was fubared - although if it's an older machine that may not be cost effective.

So, without knowing more, my initial conclusions are one of:

1. The bloke made a mistake

2. The bloke wasn't as good as he should have been

3. The bloke was turning you over (to a degree)

Personally he'd be off my list for paid work

:/
Posted by: BigBobE
Date: 13-12-2010 13:25:25
i had the same problem as you steve and a mate who is a microsoft "engineer" had the same problem the same night, and turned out to be one of the new "updates",

turn pc on and let it try do its things, eventually sorted itself out after trying repair after repair by its self,

based on what you have said i do reckon your pc guy was trying to pull the wool over your eyes,
Date: 13-12-2010 17:53:13
well thanks all .my PC seems to be fine now and i don't think ill use the local PC fixer again . :)