Board title: Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

Category name: General

Forum name: General Topics

Posted by: Matt
Date: 08-04-2011 00:34:10
Just been looking at various greases and wondered. What type of RPM constitutes a high speed application, such as with bearings, for example? Some are referred to as being for high speed applications, but there's never any actual mention of what high speed is classed as being, that I can see.
Posted by: Bio Hazard
Date: 08-04-2011 04:41:53
Well you have fast , faster and Effing fast  :devilish:
Posted by: Bio Hazard
Date: 08-04-2011 04:49:48
i think it depends on the size of the bearing and the application more than speed , For example the fire pumps in the Tac r 2 use molybendium yet other pumps i have used either use GP grease or the Blue (Saphire (i think))grease all working at the same sort of speed and application
Posted by: abecketts
Date: 08-04-2011 05:51:32
grease is the word, apparently..... :D

I'm convinced that the news will soon tell us that a large part of south ee bai gum land has been consumed by the dreaded contraptions and fanciful experiments of a certain matt..... :whistle:
Posted by: stormforce
Date: 08-04-2011 07:43:41
I got a bucket of grease that i acquired from the railway.It's the grease thats put on the curves to stop the wheels screaching.The fitter that gave it to me said its ideal for c.v's etc as they use it on the machinery aswell.I've never used it yet so you are welcome to it if you want to cover p&p Matt
Posted by: Apache
Date: 08-04-2011 08:55:01
That would be no good Rich.

Matt needs 'Northern Grease UL4236/Y'
Posted by: Predictable Bob
Date: 08-04-2011 12:17:55
:lol:

Surely marine grease would be more appropriate given the weather conditions up there ?

:whistle:
Posted by: abecketts
Date: 08-04-2011 19:23:19
i'd have thought "mammoth grease made from pre history" would be better as tis the land that time forgot
Posted by: Matt
Date: 08-04-2011 20:48:56
Gits. :D Good job I'm not the paranoid type. :cry1: :uneasy: :D

Icon - Post link Bio Hazard wrote:

i think it depends on the size of the bearing and the application more than speed , For example the fire pumps in the Tac r 2 use molybendium yet other pumps i have used either use GP grease or the Blue (Saphire (i think))grease all working at the same sort of speed and application
So it's an esoteric type of relative thing then. :D Was looking at the specs for that Sapphire grease last night. What type of consistency and stickiness is that stuff?

Raided my dads collection today and collared some Shell Alvania 2 and Shell Retinax A to have a play with. Had totally forgotten he had a stash of old grease knocking about.

Icon - Post link stormforce wrote:

I got a bucket of grease that i acquired from the railway.It's the grease thats put on the curves to stop the wheels screaching.The fitter that gave it to me said its ideal for c.v's etc as they use it on the machinery aswell.I've never used it yet so you are welcome to it if you want to cover p&p Matt
I can see my shed being crammed full of grease containers by the time I've done. :D It wouldn't happen to say what grease it is on the container, would it? What size container is it Rich, and any idea roughly what the postage would be? I'm tempted. :D
Posted by: stormforce
Date: 09-04-2011 07:18:12
i will have a check later for you Matt.It's one of those 10L buckets like the large paint buckets.I'll see what the writing says that's if it's still readable as i've had it here  for a couple of years now.I would think it will be about £10 delivered due to wieght
Posted by: gwh200
Date: 09-04-2011 07:47:07
Kin' ell rich..i reckon he's making a feckin torture chamber! :lol:
Posted by: Brummie
Date: 09-04-2011 08:17:36
I'm worried that Matt's trying all these different greases as a KY gell replacement . Has he turned the corner and wont admit it? :turngay:

:devilish:  :devilish:  :devilish: