Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

• [ You are not logged in ]
  • Members online: 0
Icon - Increase font size Icon - Decrease font size Icon - Reset font size

All fields which are not marked as optional are required. They must be completed before the form can be submitted.

[ Those fields requiring attention are highlighted. ]

#107-11-2010 13:57:25

Is it generally classed...

...as being excessively rotten if you leave people in the shit if they refuse to learn or adapt to a situation they've possibly been in several times? It's like if some plum keeps walking to the same spot on a cliff edge and slipping over, week after week, and you keep pulling them back up as they're clinging onto the edge, what's wrong with just leaving them and letting the chuffs fall after they've done it more than a couple of times?

Just wondered if my stance that they should learn or suffer the consequence was excessive? Surely plain stupidity has to give out eventually and common sense make an appearance?

#207-11-2010 14:01:14

Re: Is it generally classed...

Sooner or later you need to let them fall  ...... a short sharp shock normally helps.

#307-11-2010 14:04:41

That's what I thought too. We seem to be in the minority though, it would appear.

#407-11-2010 14:12:02

It's called learning from mistakes ...... as long as it does not end up as a Darwin award.

#507-11-2010 14:21:13

The great and learned zoologist earnst Mayer classified lots of things in his life, even due to meiotic sexuality, allied with hennigan classification. His stance is to let the clever prevail, and the stupid fail...and in 90 years of zoology he's accepted as always being right. Let the coq kill hisself.  big_smile

#607-11-2010 14:24:52

Icon - Post link gwh200 wrote:

The great and learned zoologist earnt Mayer classified lots of things in his life, even due to meiotic sexuality, allied with hennigan classification. His stance is to let the clever prevail, and the stupid fail...and in 90 years of zoology he's accepted as always being right. Let the coq kill hisself.  big_smile
Ok but i hate funerals ....... all that wearing black

#707-11-2010 15:53:16

So long as letting them fall to a splattery death is a metaphor, let them go.  They'll not learn otherwise.

#807-11-2010 20:26:07

sad

Experience is learning from your mistakes

Wisdom is learning from other peoples

Personally I favour wisdom (Despite having huge amounts of experience) however if you keep stopping the numbnuts from making mistakes then I won't be getting any more wisdom !

lol

#907-11-2010 22:13:14

Icon - Post link Matt wrote:

...as being excessively rotten if you leave people in the shit if they refuse to learn or adapt to a situation they've possibly been in several times? It's like if some plum keeps walking to the same spot on a cliff edge and slipping over, week after week, and you keep pulling them back up as they're clinging onto the edge, what's wrong with just leaving them and letting the chuffs fall after they've done it more than a couple of times?

Just wondered if my stance that they should learn or suffer the consequence was excessive? Surely plain stupidity has to give out eventually and common sense make an appearance?
for some people it's not a case they refuse to learn or adapt to something!! some just cant!!! depends on the person i spose.

#1008-11-2010 17:32:34

Icon - Post link Albannach wrote:

So long as letting them fall to a splattery death is a metaphor, let them go.  They'll not learn otherwise.
Metaphor it was. big_smile Must admit though, even if that was a real life scenario, third time around they would be dropping.

#1108-11-2010 17:57:37

They'll not learn otherwise.
Agree.

So long as letting them fall to a splattery death is a metaphor, let them go.
Disagree. 

Experience suggests that people rarely learn from their mistakes, unless they involve actual splattery death (in which case they very rarely indulge in said behaviour again), or at the very least an imminent threat of splattery death.

You need to leverage this metaphorical cliff hanger into an actual splattery-death cliff hanger.  This will increase the relative importance of the lesson to the pupil substantially, and thus help to reduce (albeit slightly) the chance of reoccurring pattern behaviour.

Ideally if, whilst maintaining the threat of imminent death, you could arrange it so that actual splatter occurs in combination with the loss of a minor limb (the left arm is usually ideal), then so much the better.  Pain is a proven incentiviser, and limb loss helps serve as a permanent reminder of the lesson in question.

whistle

#1208-11-2010 18:23:04

Icon - Post link flounderbout wrote:

Pain is a proven incentiviser, and limb loss helps serve as a permanent reminder of the lesson in question.

whistle
Exactly!

Thats why there is no repect/discipline/ common sense in this country anymore, ever since a 'clip 'round the ear' was outlawed.

#1308-11-2010 18:25:15

....And Matt, if I reply to one of your threads, maybe you'll see it!

Look in the moderators section!!!    wink

#1408-11-2010 18:59:04

Doesn't time fly? whistle big_smile Replied. smile

#1508-11-2010 19:05:57

Icon - Post link Bushwhacker wrote:

Icon - Post link flounderbout wrote:

Pain is a proven incentiviser, and limb loss helps serve as a permanent reminder of the lesson in question.

whistle
Exactly!

Thats why there is no repect/discipline/ common sense in this country anymore, ever since a 'clip 'round the ear' was outlawed.
"BAH!" agreed Brigadier Vince Leatherington-Smythe, as he shook out his Daily Telegraph in the corner "Bloody good whipping, that's what we had in my day"...  wink

#1608-11-2010 19:08:27

Thrashed to within an inch of me life...just to show me how lucky I am.

#1708-11-2010 20:09:31

Thrashed to within an inch of me life..
I thought that was just when you're Wendy at the weekends!!

#1808-11-2010 20:22:03

Icon - Post link Tintin wrote:

wendy ? as in wendy hummer don't break down  lol  lol  lol

#1908-11-2010 20:24:51

He was filmed on this red dwarf devilish

http://www.youtube.com/watch

#2008-11-2010 20:28:30

How very dare you...you know full well it's lexy.  big_smile

#2108-11-2010 20:32:53

Icon - Post link That_Ruddy_Squirrel wrote:

wendy ? as in wendy hummer don't break down  lol  lol  lol
lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

Nice one Trev.

#2208-11-2010 20:34:07

THREAD HIJACK.........

Just got a buyer for the 2.4!!!
Time to start the search for 5 new tyres for the 3ltr!! wink

#2308-11-2010 20:36:46

THREAD HIJACK.........

threadjack  tease

#2408-11-2010 20:38:05

THREAD HIJACK.........

And there was me thinking that you were going to break out into song "wendy red red robin comes bob bob bobbing along............."

Well done  big_smile

#2508-11-2010 21:19:48

just remember al...cooper discovere tyres are made by spackers...apart from that,they are great!  big_smile
Display⁄Hide tags
Tag on Bebo Tag on BlinkList Tag on Connotea Tag on Del.icio.us Tag on Digg Tag on Diigo Tag on Facebook Tag on Google Tag on Linkedin Tag on Mister Wong Tag on MSN Live Tag on Myspace Tag on Newsvine Tag on Reddit Tag on Spurl Tag on StumbleUpon Tag on Technorati Tag on Twitter Tag on Yahoo