Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

• [ You are not logged in ]
  • Members online: 0
Icon - Increase font size Icon - Decrease font size Icon - Reset font size

All fields which are not marked as optional are required. They must be completed before the form can be submitted.

[ Those fields requiring attention are highlighted. ]

#2618-11-2011 22:10:36

Re: Can I ask a question please.....(Speedo woes)

Thanks to the forum fairy for sorting me posts out....... i was rushing.....

Will pull sensor again and check its still working and not just that when i pulled it before i made it work temporarily
if it still works its time to start by continuity checking the wire from pin 3 back to the cluster
which means i gotta pull the dash...... oh joy of joys
was taking monday to wednesday to do some decorating but oh well looks like wifey is doing that while i sort me truck.....
Look pink door frames how cute........

#2718-11-2011 22:48:29

Before you pull the cluster out, gain access to the ECU and the smallest grey multi-plug of the three that go into it. The green wire with a blue stripe (difficult to see the blue stripe so make sure you have a flashlight to hand) is the speed signal wire from the sensor on the transfercase.
Jack both rear wheels off the ground, leave all the plugs in the ECU, switch on ignition and with the transmission in neutral,  get someone to spin the driver's side rear wheel whilst you probe the green/blue wire.
If you get a fluctuating signal the same as you did re: the bench test method, then the problem is at  the speedo head.

The answer to your next question:   big_smile
The ECU is behind the passenger side kick panel. A 10mm socket is needed to detach it from the body to get at the multi-plugs.

#2819-11-2011 12:16:14

Damn your good...... must admit i did think of that but can't remember where i put me ECU pinout PDF....

Been at the ECU in the past so already know where that little bugger resides.....

Will probe the green blue wire and get wifey to spin the wheel....... she loves me really

Cheers

#2921-11-2011 15:23:09

Couldn't find a green with blue stripe wire only a green one on the smaller plug so thought sodit pull the cluster and have butchers for the obvious......

What a pain in the arse to get out specially when the alarm led is mounted through the panel with no connector behind.... looks like a trip to maplins cus i bust it trying to get the shroud off.....

Anyway got the cluster out and had a look at tracks where connectors push in, no sign of anything bad there...

Popped the cluster apart and removed the speedo to look at the pcb and low and behold a small black patch, gave it a gentle scrape and it didn't look to good.....
Took me back to me younger years and my first real job as an electronics engineering technician, bugger me i have forgotten sooo much couldn't even remeber the colour code on a bloody resistor....

http://files.myopera.com/Paul%20Yeomans/albums/674901/pcb.JPG

The track looping down under the upper solder blob appeared to be broken when probed with me continuity meter, soldered a link wire acrross and put it all back together and joy of joy it worked......

Just a quickie noticed i have a bulb fitted for ECT, checked bulb and it works, never seen it light up even with ECT switched on so never knew it was there, i know that ECTworks cus it holds till 60mph before top engages, normally 50mph....
Should this light up ? not that i care but just curious.....

#3021-11-2011 16:40:52

Mine lights up. Nice one getting the speedo working. thumbs But you do realise that by using the  bugger expression Matt and Gra to name just two are even now probably squabbling in your front garden as to who has first dibs yikes  devilish  devilish  devilish

#3121-11-2011 17:35:28

Either one will do cus numpty bollocks here should have remembered sods law and replaced the dash lights when he first had it out, cus yep you guessed it sods law stepped in and the rev counter buld died between removal and refitting. So i whipped it out in no time at all now i know where all the screws are and off i went to the local parts emporium to buy new bulbs. now i got bright lights in me dashboard......... wahay where's the butter...................................... big_smile

#3221-11-2011 22:23:07

Icon - Post link Paul1566 wrote:

Couldn't find a green with blue stripe wire only a green one on the smaller plug........

Icon - Post link Bushwhacker wrote:

The green wire with a blue stripe (difficult to see the blue stripe so make sure you have a flashlight to hand) is the speed signal wire from the sensor
whistle

#3322-11-2011 18:05:08

Difficult to see.... more like impossible.......not a trace......not even a fleckle of blue......

Had a look at the 3.0l auto ecu pinout here http://www.mhdfl.com and it says speed sensor SP-1 is connector A pin 9, this confused me which was easily done......... tongue

Anyway she's now fixed, big thanks for your suggestions thumbs

#3424-11-2011 00:03:47

No, the odometer and the speedo both stopped and the OD light started flashing....
Fecker. Talk about being the kiss of death on people. big_smile Went out in her today and found out that I'm suffering the same problem. At least I know what the O/D light flashing problem Gert mentioned is now. big_smile

#3524-11-2011 08:31:30

Man of your calibre will have it fixed in a jiffy.........

Just don't forget "The green wire with a blue stripe (difficult to see the blue stripe so make sure you have a flashlight to hand) is the speed signal wire from the sensor"  big_smile

#3624-11-2011 11:38:57

My speedo is also playing up at the moment - it doesn't read anything until about 20mph, then it starts going round (maybe at a constant 20mph less than actual - or maybe not - it is difficult to tell!).
Oh and my O/D light doesn't come on, and I don't think the O/D is kicking in either.  hmm

Anyone know what colour the speed signal wire is?  whistle

#3707-12-2011 15:53:20

The track looping down under the upper solder blob appeared to be broken when probed with me continuity meter, soldered a link wire acrross and put it all back together and joy of joy it worked......
Paul, get yourself a couple of electrolytics, 105 degree, 10uF and 100uF, both rated at 25V or above. Those solder joints above and below where the track had corroded through are the pins for the 100uF cap. It's leaking electrolyte, hence the corrosion. Best to replace the 10uF cap at the corner of the board too, whilst you're at it. Scrape off any loose varnish, (you'll likely find the electrolyte has seeped a fair distance along the track), and clean the tracks down too, (with something like Isopropyl), and then give the bare tracks a coating of nail varnish or similar, to prevent further corrosion.

Did mine today. The penny dropped as to the cause of the corrosion when I got the rancid fish smell as I was using the iron to try and clean/tin the corroded tracks up a bit. big_smile

#3807-12-2011 16:24:14

Will get some when i get me LED for me alarm....
Need to remove dash as i think when i took it out before i disturbed the speedo converter
which was snuggly sat down the back and i know have an annoying tapping sound,
and before you ask its not the missus demanding a refill...........

#3902-01-2012 10:47:34

Icon - Post link Matt wrote:

Paul, get yourself a couple of electrolytics, 105 degree, 10uF and 100uF, both rated at 25V or above. Those solder joints above and below where the track had corroded through are the pins for the 100uF cap. It's leaking electrolyte, hence the corrosion. Best to replace the 10uF cap at the corner of the board too, whilst you're at it. Scrape off any loose varnish, (you'll likely find the electrolyte has seeped a fair distance along the track), and clean the tracks down too, (with something like Isopropyl), and then give the bare tracks a coating of nail varnish or similar, to prevent further corrosion.

Did mine today. The penny dropped as to the cause of the corrosion when I got the rancid fish smell as I was using the iron to try and clean/tin the corroded tracks up a bit. big_smile
Does this come with an English translation anywhere on t'net???????????????? devilish

Al

#4005-01-2012 05:15:17

Icon - Post link Tintin wrote:

Does this come with an English translation anywhere on t'net???????????????? devilish
Nah. big_smile big_smile It's simple enough to see what needs sorting once you get it out. As long as you replace those two electrolytics, bridge any damaged tracks and clean up the manky tracks and reseal them, (you can tell which tracks are manky as the green coating will have turned either completely black or blotchy green/black), you should be fine. I always use a penknife blade, lightly applied and with the edge pointing slightly away from the direction in which one is scraping, to remove the lacquer from tracks, but you can also get and use a fibreglass pencil which is specifically designed for the task. Never been a fan of those things personally though.

#4105-01-2012 07:18:43

Cheers Matt, but i really can't see me faffing about with a soldering iron! (always seem to get it wrong on circuit boards)
I'm Hoping when i get it out that it's a  straightforward job to remove the MPH electric gizmo from the spare one (off the 2.4) and put that on instead!!

Alan

#4230-01-2012 08:27:15

Hi!

Great info, thanks to you I've found my speedo fault: a corroded PCB.

I want to do a quick fix whilst I wait for the caps, but I'm not certain what has corroded away.   hmm
Does anyone have a picture (or link) of a serviceable speedo PCB, please?

Regards

Prometheus
Display⁄Hide tags
Tag on Bebo Tag on BlinkList Tag on Connotea Tag on Del.icio.us Tag on Digg Tag on Diigo Tag on Facebook Tag on Google Tag on Linkedin Tag on Mister Wong Tag on MSN Live Tag on Myspace Tag on Newsvine Tag on Reddit Tag on Spurl Tag on StumbleUpon Tag on Technorati Tag on Twitter Tag on Yahoo