Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

• [ You are not logged in ]
  • Members online: 0
Icon - Increase font size Icon - Decrease font size Icon - Reset font size

All fields which are not marked as optional are required. They must be completed before the form can be submitted.

[ Those fields requiring attention are highlighted. ]

#107-12-2011 17:59:00

advice please

hi all, i have just bought an old (31 years ) Honda superdream bike to fiddle with over the winter and ride when i pass the last part of my test (soon i hope).I'm not intending to restore it ,well not this time but i want to give it a bit of a refurb .my question is can any of you recommend a paint that i can spray on chrome ER rusty chrome .the rear rack is a little scruffy and needs to be painted black but I'm not sure if there is a paint that will work on chrome .thanks,Steve
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp169/stevetrina/bikes001.jpg

#207-12-2011 18:19:36

Re: advice please

I cant because i dont know steve. I had one of those...a Honda 250 super(wet) dream.  Loved it big_smile

#307-12-2011 18:20:13

Clean all of the loose stuff and flakes off, coat with aluminium etch primer and then use your topcoat of choice. Don't inhale the primer stuff. It's vicious and stinks like cat piss. big_smile

#407-12-2011 18:36:46

hi graham n Matt .only got mod 2 too go but weather putting me off as for the bike ,well its what i wanted 30 years ago when i had my first bike and now i have one .Matt can you get the primer anywhere ?

#507-12-2011 18:41:21

Aye. Motor factors should stock it. If not, any automotive type paint supplier definitely will. This is the type of stuff:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html

#607-12-2011 18:43:51

#707-12-2011 19:36:43

Just remember Steve, make sure you are in an extremely well ventilated spot whilst using it. It's not oft I tend to be the overly cautious type when spraying, but that stuff really is one thing I have caution around. The fumes truly are horrid. big_smile You'll feel like you're being choked for ages if you get a lungful of that stuff.

#807-12-2011 19:53:10

Icon - Post link steve s wrote:

hi all, i have just bought an old (31 years ) Honda superdream bike to fiddle with over the winter and ride when i pass the last part of my test (soon i hope).I'm not intending to restore it ,well not this time but i want to give it a bit of a refurb .my question is can any of you recommend a paint that i can spray on chrome ER rusty chrome .the rear rack is a little scruffy and needs to be painted black but I'm not sure if there is a paint that will work on chrome .thanks,Steve
http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp169/stevetrina
Nice!
The wheels need to be silver though.

#907-12-2011 20:04:40

thanks for that Matt.hi Vince ,its not bad for its age and yes i would prefer silver wheels but they are original so for the mo ill keep them black .the good thing with the superdream is that not too many people are restoring them yet so they are cheep and so are the spares .when i get the next bike this one will be restored properly ,but don't tell er in doors smile
Display⁄Hide tags
Tag on Bebo Tag on BlinkList Tag on Connotea Tag on Del.icio.us Tag on Digg Tag on Diigo Tag on Facebook Tag on Google Tag on Linkedin Tag on Mister Wong Tag on MSN Live Tag on Myspace Tag on Newsvine Tag on Reddit Tag on Spurl Tag on StumbleUpon Tag on Technorati Tag on Twitter Tag on Yahoo