Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

• [ You are not logged in ]
  • Members online: 0
Icon - Increase font size Icon - Decrease font size Icon - Reset font size

All fields which are not marked as optional are required. They must be completed before the form can be submitted.

[ Those fields requiring attention are highlighted. ]

#111-01-2012 20:42:23

iPhone

Me being technophobic where stuff like this is concerned, big_smile thought I'd ask you lot. What and where are the best prices currently, for new iPhones?

#211-01-2012 20:48:35

Re: iPhone

hmm

Why are you interested in old technology ?

Have a look at the HTC Desire and the Samsung Galaxy S2 ...

whistle

#311-01-2012 20:55:45

I'm not. big_smile It's the eldest lad who's after one. He's considering buying an iPhone second hand, but we're trying to convince him, (if he'll ever listen to a single word of advice, that is), that he's better off starting with a new one. Less chance of being bitten on the arse, that way, IMHO. I've absolutely no idea what the current stuff is though, hence why I'm asking advice of you lot. big_smile If there's owt better, I'll mention it to Gert and she can try and guide him down that path. (I leave it to her to convince him as I don't have the patience to deal with the typical teenage 'always knows better' attitude. big_smile)

#411-01-2012 21:19:36

i would go for galaxy s2, i have the latest samsung nexus prime, and i would rather have bought the s2 now... but no point in talking as i reckon he just "wants an iphone".....

#511-01-2012 21:29:22

lol

Daughter had her heart set on an iPhone and wouldn't consider anything else, the runt of the litter checked out what was available at the time and went for the S2 - daughter now dumps her iPhone and grabs his S2 whenever he leaves it lying around within her reach ...

'nuff said ?

lol

#611-01-2012 22:09:32

s2 is an unbelieveable phone and you should be able to get it fairly reasonable price...

#712-01-2012 06:50:23

Ignore these heathens. He needs an iPhone. A white one. With the big GBs.

www.youtube.com/watch

#812-01-2012 08:37:18

I have...sorry had a galaxy phone for work. It's ok if you're young and want the text/message/bookface things that teenagers do, whilst having a telephone surgically attached to their hand. I reccomend Iphone.

My reason, it's taken me feckin ages to find out how it works. The galaxy also broke twice. I now have a blackberry work phone. This is also hateful and rubbish. I asked for a really basic phone for work. I got a nokia something or other...bliss. I now how an Iphone, a blackberry and a cheap nokia. Apart from the Blackberry, which has no feckin redeeming features whatsoever, the other two, are good for what I wanted them for. The Nokia for making calls, and the Iphone for writing shite on forums, whilst sat in a mcdonalds near to Manchester. Also being able to listen to the stones/kings of leon/ whilst driving down a busy M60(first time on a motorway in 10 months...can't wait to get back to some quietness).

Matt. As far as phones are concerned, it's like MPG threads. Feckin futile.  big_smile

#912-01-2012 12:38:32

lol

Nice one Gra -  my 7 year old 6310i broke so I now use a Nokia C1 (That's more basic than a very basic thing that's had an attack of basic) but I still stand by the S2 for kids though !

devilish

#1012-01-2012 13:19:19

The thing with phones for kids is that they're all about image.  For ease of reference (and notwithstanding bakruptcies):

iPhone = BMW
HTC = Saab
Samsung = Lexus
Nokia = Ford
Blackberry = Anything white with a dustbin on the exhaust.

#1112-01-2012 13:56:14

Icon - Post link Sancho wrote:

The thing with phones for kids is that they're all about image.  For ease of reference (and notwithstanding bakruptcies):

iPhone = BMW
HTC = Saab
Samsung = Lexus
Nokia = Ford
Blackberry = Anything white with a dustbin on the exhaust.
How dare you suggest I have a BMW?!
There is normally only one reason for me choosing a phone, and that is what all my chargers in my office, house, bedroom, and car etc are.  So I am stuck with iPhones for the foreseeable future.  Plus I like the iPhone because I am used to it - I hate taking weeks to learn all the new glitches and tricks of a new phone.

Technotypes however will tell you that there are much better and cheaper alternatives available.

#1212-01-2012 15:35:07

I'm sure there are better phones, but as Henry points out, trying to learn the ropes of a new hi-tech handheld whatever they're called...why it's bought me out in a cold sweat!
The nokia cheapo, is great. The battery when fully charged, lasts for about three days. This thing...about 2 nanoseconds! big_smile

#1312-01-2012 16:17:42

I have a 'Lexus' and so has my wife! big_smile 
She has a Samsung Galaxy mini, I've just bought one of this.......
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110801850750

£126 for the pair, her's brand new mine one month old. tongue

#1412-01-2012 16:34:28

I have the iPhone 3Gs (black 16GB). When I got it every manufacturer had a phone that could do one thing better than the iPhone, but were crapper on everything else.
If I were to change, it would probably be to an iPhone 4s (although by the time I'd change we'll probably be on the iPhone 7), because I know the phone and all the software on it. In truth it very rarely gets used as a phone.

Remember in a recent test on the gadget show the iPhone 4s came second on nearly every test, it's not the best at everything, but it is an all round package.

#1512-01-2012 17:15:34

And there is a cogent, well balanced and well thought out reply...from a loony.

Cos he sold his feckin surf! big_smile

#1612-01-2012 18:28:44

Icon - Post link Bushwhacker wrote:

I have a 'Lexus' and so has my wife! big_smile 
She has a Samsung Galaxy mini, I've just bought one of this.......
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110801850750

£126 for the pair, her's brand new mine one month old. tongue
Is your's one of those phones that deletes PM's from next door?   sissyfit   whistle  big_smile

#1712-01-2012 18:43:39

Feck off Sancho, My iPhone is like a Toyota, it might be expensive to buy, but it does everything it's asked to, easily and reliably and can't see me needing anything else and still havn't managed to break it.

big_smile

#1812-01-2012 18:51:45

Knowing sanch is an apple advocate, I feel slightly mystified as to his BMW/Iphone correlation.

I thought the list was more thus;

iPhone...shows mum & dad have deep pockets
HTC...shows mum and dad have deep pockets
Blackberry...shows mum and dad...yadda yadda.
I have an Iphone. My parents are poor...go figure! big_smile

Edit:

And pixy ephraim spear chucker.
That's poxy iPhone spell checker, with it switched on. Spells list as lust, and for some strange reason, "wholly decent rotheram resident" as "humptybacked manholehumper".  big_smile

#1912-01-2012 19:09:10

lol

Gra, how long is it since I said you were a fecking nutter ?

lol

#2012-01-2012 19:15:16

Not long I think Bob.  big_smile

#2112-01-2012 19:26:10

Be warned, one of the guys at work has found out the iphone has a failing, it doesn't like water !!

So keep your bmw away from canals  lol

#2212-01-2012 20:23:47

Icon - Post link gwh200 wrote:

I'm sure there are better phones, but as Henry points out, trying to learn the ropes of a new hi-tech handheld whatever they're called...why it's bought me out in a cold sweat!
The nokia cheapo, is great. The battery when fully charged, lasts for about three days. This thing...about 2 nanoseconds! big_smile
When you are about to put it back in your pocket, double press the main button. This will bring up a row of icons at the bottom of the screen
hold your finger on one of them and a symbol will appear over each one.Touch  each icon/symbol in turn, this will turn each one off in turn!
One of the reasons an i-phone has such poor battery life is that all apps (inc phone and texts) run in the background after they've been used

Try this, it makes mine last much longer!

If however you already know this feel free to ignore what took me ten minutes to type! big_smile

Al

Last edited by Tintin (12-01-2012 21:56:53)

#2313-01-2012 00:08:17

Icon - Post link gwh200 wrote:

Knowing sanch is an apple advocate, I feel slightly mystified as to his BMW/Iphone correlation.

I thought the list was more thus;

iPhone...shows mum & dad have deep pockets
HTC...shows mum and dad have deep pockets
Blackberry...shows mum and dad...yadda yadda.
I have an Iphone. My parents are poor...go figure! big_smile

Edit:

And pixy ephraim spear chucker.
That's poxy iPhone spell checker, with it switched on. Spells list as lust, and for some strange reason, "wholly decent rotheram resident" as "humptybacked manholehumper".  big_smile
I was going for:

iPhone - Good, well screwed together, does everything well.  Has a 'corporate' image:
HTC - Not as good as an iPhone but the choice of those that want something 'different' so they don't look like a sheep.
Samsung - Probably as good as an iPhone and better than an HTC but not considered to have any 'class'
Nokia - Fine but no image
Blackberry - For kids

#2413-01-2012 03:32:48

There's me thinking that kids were supposed to be the awkward, argumentative gits. big_smile big_smile Cheers chaps. smile

Sounds like he's going for an iPhone. Sooo, the next question would be, the contract jobbies. Remembering that you're talking to a complete heathen where stuff like this is concerned, big_smile is it better to buy a phone outright and then use the top up cards, (or whatever the things are called), or get a phone on a contract, and if so, where are the best places to go for those?

#2513-01-2012 07:07:12

All depends on trust mate !
If you can agree a limit and know he can stick to it then a contract works out better!
The phone itself  is LAUGHABLY expensive when bought off contract, even the older ---"uncool" models
My 15 yr old daughter has an iphone 3GS on contract from the carphone warehouse (i actually have four with them altold in my name)
24 month contract
300 minutes talk time
Unlimited texts
100mb data

cost : £25 per month!
Display⁄Hide tags
Tag on Bebo Tag on BlinkList Tag on Connotea Tag on Del.icio.us Tag on Digg Tag on Diigo Tag on Facebook Tag on Google Tag on Linkedin Tag on Mister Wong Tag on MSN Live Tag on Myspace Tag on Newsvine Tag on Reddit Tag on Spurl Tag on StumbleUpon Tag on Technorati Tag on Twitter Tag on Yahoo