Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

• [ You are not logged in ]
  • Members online: 0
Icon - Increase font size Icon - Decrease font size Icon - Reset font size

All fields which are not marked as optional are required. They must be completed before the form can be submitted.

[ Those fields requiring attention are highlighted. ]

#126-01-2012 22:26:01

Finally

I actually got my arse in gear today and replaced all of those rubber hoses on the vacuum and small pressure lines, which keep perishing, with 3mm I.D silicone hose. It's only taken me two/three years? big_smile Plonked a 4mm I.D piece from the inlet manifold to the boost sensor filter too. The piece that was on there, (dual wall braided fuel/air hose which I put on there years ago to replace the old, knackered hose), was starting to perish at the ends and was getting ready to all abouts drop off, so hopefully that one should be a bit more reliable too.

Gone for blue on the 3mm and red on the 4mm. Thought it would save any arsing about trying to remember which size I'd used where.

#227-01-2012 05:36:33

Re: Finally

About bloody time lol

#327-01-2012 23:59:28

big_smile big_smile Should save me losing 4WD again, just as I need it. big_smile

#431-01-2012 22:43:21

can you post a pic and link to where you got the hoses from, i need some for my brake vaccum system, keeps falling off then my brakes go solid.

#531-01-2012 22:44:03

pic of engine bay too if you could so i can see whats where
ta

#631-01-2012 23:12:51

This is the 3mm stuff I got:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm

Got the 4mm, (in red), from that supplier too. The 3mm seems the best fit for most of the connections, and it's a bit sturdier too. The 4mm has the same wall thickness, (2mm), but seems just borderline on the wall strength for the vacuum connections. I popped a couple of short lengths of the 4mm on the stubs from the VSV's to the ADD collar on the diff, and they seem to be holding up so far, but I'd trust the 3mm bore hose more.

I'll take some pics as soon as I can. The hose layout is different to standard though, as the EGR system, including VSV's, has been removed completely, and the boost sensor is running through a VSV to allow for enabling/disabling the extra fuelling mode for the turbo, (that seems to make bugger all notable difference to fuel consumption too).

#704-02-2012 20:14:27

The bog standard bits:

http://daemon4x4.org/board/gallery/3/1328386116vac3.jpg
http://daemon4x4.org/board/gallery/3/1328386116vac2.jpg

The rerouted hoses to maintain smooth engine shutdown now that the EGR VSV's are gone:

http://daemon4x4.org/board/gallery/3/1328386117vac4.jpg

The VSV which controls whether the boost sensor receives any vacuum/pressure:

http://daemon4x4.org/board/gallery/3/1328386115vac1.jpg

The inline suppressor to prevent any sudden pressure hitting the sensor when the VSV is switched:

http://daemon4x4.org/board/gallery/3/1328386133vac5.jpg

#805-02-2012 10:31:27

Good work Matt...

It's a mod I think would benefit my truck..one less thing to worry about. What it does highlight is my lack of knowledge as to what is under the bonnet other than the standard stuff... roll

#911-02-2012 15:33:08

you seem to have more bits on yours, have you modified things? where your boost pressure sensor is, what is that think infront of it where more pipes go to, also the pipes that go into the drivers wing, where do they go? im really thinking of this now as im loosing boost pressure and have cracks in pipes going everywhere.

#1011-02-2012 15:35:45

do you have extra one way valves in place too?

#1111-02-2012 18:55:42

Icon - Post link muddle wrote:

do you have extra one way valves in place too?
That one between the boost sensor and the copper/brass suppressor? Quite probably added that one as an extra precaution.

you seem to have more bits on yours, have you modified things?
Somewhat. Those relays you can see control the rad fan, (ditched the viscous fan). That copper/brass jobbie is the suppressor for the sensor.

where your boost pressure sensor is, what is that think infront of it where more pipes go to
The thing bolted to the side of the air box? That's the VSV, (from an Isuzu), which controls whether the boost pressure sensor is in circuit or not. It effectively enables/disables turbo mode. VSV off, no pressure ever reaches the sensor, so the engine works more akin to a NA engine, (exempting the fact that the turbo is still physically dragging air through the sysytem, but there's no extra fuelling applied for it).

also the pipes that go into the drivers wing, where do they go? im really thinking of this now as im loosing boost pressure and have cracks in pipes going everywhere.
Those two hoses going through the inner wing go to the vacuum resorvoir. It's mounted in the offside wheel arch. You'll see a canister about 6" in diameter if you look in your wheel arch. That's the reservoir.

#1212-02-2012 10:21:14

Matt..the VSV you mention.

Does his mean you can isolate the turbo should it fail and drive with a knackerd turbo??

#1312-02-2012 11:10:48

Not isolate as such. It just prevents more fuel being chucked out once you get to 2500+ RPM, when the turbo usually kicks in. The turbo would be less stressed if you had a knacked impeller or the like, but it would still sound like a bag of nails, I'd guess. big_smile

#1412-02-2012 18:04:50

does it make any performance difference/fuel consumption difference?

#1512-02-2012 22:50:47

Icon - Post link Matt wrote:

Not isolate as such. It just prevents more fuel being chucked out once you get to 2500+ RPM, when the turbo usually kicks in. The turbo would be less stressed if you had a knacked impeller or the like, but it would still sound like a bag of nails, I'd guess. big_smile
Thanks...that makes sense. I get it now. Will get some hose from ebay.

#1613-02-2012 10:57:54

does it make any performance difference/fuel consumption difference?
None that I've noticed, consumption wise. Performance wise, definitely. You're actually driving by pedal on acceleration rather than having the extra oomph thrown in by the turbo. Very large hills and overtaking on motorways are about the only time I enable it, so it's very rarely used. big_smile

It does obviously make the exhaust note less throaty too, which is sometimes useful with the exhaust I have on there, big_smile and the emissions come last test did seem to be lower too, which the only thing I can attribute that change to.

#1713-02-2012 20:22:59

ok cool, im trying to think of/do mods that are beneficial towards the running of the vehicle. i hear a lot that people adjust the fuel pump on their surfs too, is this true or rollocks?

#1813-02-2012 20:38:51

Yeah, you can adjust the fuelling, to some degree. Best to leave that as is, however, unless you know your mixture is either too rich or lean.

#1913-02-2012 20:51:26

ok cool, im trying to think of/do mods that are beneficial towards the running of the vehicle. i hear a lot that people adjust the fuel pump on their surfs too, is this true or rollocks?
I would be wise to sort out the blue smoke problem before adjusting, modifiying or tweaking anything else.
Blue smoke that you're concerned about in your other thread means the engine is burning oil, which usually means worn valve guide seals and/or turbo seals.

#2013-02-2012 21:19:20

i thought that too, i have had the head replaced so am ruling out valve stem seals, the turbo i have been told is okay, there is no play if you wiggle the impeller. only a slight bit of lateral movement.

this is why im thinking the cause could be due to the oil sitting in the inlet and finding its way into the cylinders?
Display⁄Hide tags
Tag on Bebo Tag on BlinkList Tag on Connotea Tag on Del.icio.us Tag on Digg Tag on Diigo Tag on Facebook Tag on Google Tag on Linkedin Tag on Mister Wong Tag on MSN Live Tag on Myspace Tag on Newsvine Tag on Reddit Tag on Spurl Tag on StumbleUpon Tag on Technorati Tag on Twitter Tag on Yahoo