Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

• [ You are not logged in ]
  • Members online: 1
Icon - Increase font size Icon - Decrease font size Icon - Reset font size

All fields which are not marked as optional are required. They must be completed before the form can be submitted.

[ Those fields requiring attention are highlighted. ]

#111-02-2012 11:30:46

help needed, check engine light and no power?

hi guys, im having a problem with my surf. its a 2.4 ssr-x ln130.

every now and then when i drive it the check engine light comes on, its normally while acellerating hard or going up hill. the light goes off if i let the revs die down and stays off until i rev it up again.

it normally comes on at about 3500 revs ish. just before the light comes on i have no power , it can barely do the hills. i have no idea where to start. its as if the turbo stops working. the car dosent over heat. im sure its turbo related but need some pointers and pics if poss.

thanks.

#211-02-2012 13:26:29

Re: help needed, check engine light and no power?

The truck is telling you what the problem is, find out what the fault code is for and go from there.

Fault Codes are well covered here and over the road.

big_smile

#311-02-2012 13:53:58

how are they tested?

#411-02-2012 14:40:11

tested them and i get 1 flash then a long [pause the one flash and long pause and on and on and on.

#511-02-2012 15:49:16

ok, odd, but could be just overboosting, I think the light cover that too.

Is your Green turbo light coming on normally? and does it go out when the orange light comes on?

I'd check your wastegate arm and actuator on the turbo are working ok, make sure the arm isn't bent, the hose isn't split, or that someone has got over excited with the 'washer' mod, stacking them behind the actuator plate to make the boost higher before the wastegate opens.

Take the intake off and wiggle the end of the turbo impeller, if the bearings are shot it could be rubbing or sticking on the side of the body and not spinning up.

#611-02-2012 16:00:29

there are some gold washers behind the turbo actuator plate that dont look like they were originally there so ill remove them, the light comes on fine when driving and every now and then normally while revving hard or going uphill the engine light comes on and the turbo dies until its flat again and the revs drop.

there is a pipe that connected to the inlet into a little valve that has splits in the ends, i just turned the pipe upside down as one side of it seems stretched and i blew the little valve with my mouth, it seemed blocked up and oil was coming out of it. i test drove it just now and seemed okay so thinking it might be the pipe or the fact that the valve was blocked.

question is, why did the valve have loads of oil in it? is this normal and can the small splits in the ends of the pipe cause this? the reason i turned it upside down was that the splits are longer in one side than the other and by doing this the connections that it pushes on are different lenghts so the splits are not exceeding the ends of the connectons.  the splits are running the length of the pipe not around it if that makes sense.

#711-02-2012 19:03:14

Connected to which inlet? With regards the oil, you'll always have some oil kicking about the intake system. The breather on the rocker cover feeds straight into the air intake crossover pipe, so oil from that point on is quite normal.

#811-02-2012 23:51:56

Maybe you mean the small hose and filter that goes to the boost pressure sensor?

There could be a build up of oily gunk in the intake, which is quite normal, but its got into this hose or the filter is blocked the boost pressure sensor will be getting a false reading and doing odd things to the check light and fuelling side of things.

#912-02-2012 10:30:35

yea where the boost sensor is there is a pipe running from it to a small valve, then the pipe that is on the bottom of this valve is a small 'L' shaped pipe that goes under the inlet manifold somewhere, this is the pipe that is slightly split and full of oil aswell as the little valve.

i will be changing all pipes but is there any way to prevent or reduce the amount of oil in them.

also as i said when i took the valve off and blew it, it was blocked. i had to blow and hold the pressure in there to get it to start flowing then oil was coming out of it, quite a lot. so wondering if this was a cause?

#1012-02-2012 11:08:21

That piece of hose is a sod for perishing, coming loose etc. It does get quite oily there, which is why that piece suffers so much. The blockage in the filter obviously wouldn't help either. That's why I'm trying that piece of 4mm ID silicone hose on mine. The replacement rubber hose I popped on there a few years ago has already gone solid and is a loose fit. Only way to lessen the oil there is to fit a catch can between the rocker outlet and the intake crossover pipe.

#1112-02-2012 18:01:21

has any one done a catch tank. i like the idea of that. wouldnt know where to mount it

#1212-02-2012 18:51:52

i have been reading that instead of a catch can you can vent to atmosphere, the only reason for it to go to inlet is pollution or something, but i drive a surf so like i care....!

question is, how do you go about venting to atmosphere?

#1312-02-2012 22:52:38

Icon - Post link muddle wrote:

i have been reading that instead of a catch can you can vent to atmosphere, the only reason for it to go to inlet is pollution or something, but i drive a surf so like i care....!

Via pickled eggs??

#1412-02-2012 23:02:02

Icon - Post link muddle wrote:

i have been reading that instead of a catch can you can vent to atmosphere , the only reason for it to go to inlet is pollution or something, but i drive a surf so like i care....!

Couple of clues there. wink

Basically, you fit a tube to the vent spout on the valve cover, drill a hole in the bonnet above it, then attach a very long pipe thats long enough to reach the clouds.

#1513-02-2012 08:52:19

If you then wrap the tube in a spring it will  bend instead of snapping when you go under bridges/trees

#1613-02-2012 09:00:00

i used to vent, but mine was smokey-ish, so when stopped at lights there was a nice little cloud forming around truck and also got build up of oil around outlet as its not being blown into the air intake.... gone back to letting the rocker cover blow into air intake....

#1713-02-2012 11:13:15

You'd likely fail a MOT if you just vented to atmosphere. Disconnecting the pipe from the intake is venting it. It has nowhere to go but the engine bay and road. Definitely not the best course to take though. If you have a look on the Oz site and some of the Yank sites, some there have either made or bought, and fitted, catch cans. They're basically a cylinder, capped off at both ends, with an inlet and outlet. Some wire wool or similar impedes the flow between the inlet and outlet, removing the oil condensate in the process. You then have a drain tap to remove the trapped oil occasionally.

p.s: If you want a piece of this 4mm silicone hose cutting to length to replace that iffy piece on your inlet manifold to the filter, PM me your address, (click on the brown envelope underneath someones user details in the left column to message them), and I'll get a piece posted through. It's an extremely snug fit on the inlet, so hopefully shouldn't work loose the same way as the rubber pipes do, and supposedly silicone hose is more resistant to oil, heat etc., (time will tell on that point).

#1813-02-2012 12:09:58

there is a good write up on the hls forum from a guy who made a catch can from pvc piping....

#1913-02-2012 20:07:57

thanks for input. its just i have a lot of oil building in my inlet and its causing smoke on startup, i believe anyway. just something i want to try out and see if it helps.

does anyone know the diameters of inlet and outlet hoses needed for the catch tank?

#2013-02-2012 20:12:53

also to note i really need to reduce smoke which is why im trying one thing at a time, reason being is when i start the engine and it blue smokes it comes in the cabin, and with my new born daughter there i dont really like her breathing it in.

can anyone also post links to where i can buy a suitable catch can and hoses. thanks

#2113-02-2012 20:36:37

With regards to the catch tank, probably either Ebay or Demon Tweeks. Can't remember what the ID's of the hoses are, but they are different both ends of the pipe. Think it's something around 16mm on the rocker cover, (the larger of the two), so that would be the minimum diameter you would want for the catch tank inlet/outlet. Best to go with the largest bore than run the risk of restricting the flow. Whip the pipe off and measure the outlet/inlet to get the exact sizes, if no-one else can remember them.

#2213-02-2012 21:21:56

will look into them all. would it be a good idea to temporarily vent to atmos to see if the blue smoke/rough start issue stops, then i will know if a catch tank is necessary?
Display⁄Hide tags
Tag on Bebo Tag on BlinkList Tag on Connotea Tag on Del.icio.us Tag on Digg Tag on Diigo Tag on Facebook Tag on Google Tag on Linkedin Tag on Mister Wong Tag on MSN Live Tag on Myspace Tag on Newsvine Tag on Reddit Tag on Spurl Tag on StumbleUpon Tag on Technorati Tag on Twitter Tag on Yahoo