Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

• [ You are not logged in ]
  • Members online: 0
Icon - Increase font size Icon - Decrease font size Icon - Reset font size

All fields which are not marked as optional are required. They must be completed before the form can be submitted.

[ Those fields requiring attention are highlighted. ]

#116-02-2012 19:45:08

Winch tray

Thought i just ask if there are any pics of home made winch trays/bumpers in da house? ta

#216-02-2012 21:02:59

Re: Winch tray

Send Nev a message Ian. I think he might be able to dig you the diagram out from the EPC for the OEM Toyota mounting plate. If I recall, there's not much to them. They just bolt to the end of the chassis rails. Making sure you use thick enough gauge steel/aluminium would be the main point.

#316-02-2012 21:24:36

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html

As I said next door, they're cheap enough to buy ready made Matt.

#416-02-2012 21:49:58

Icon - Post link Bushwhacker wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=winch+tray&_sacat=See-All-Categories

As I said next door, they're cheap enough to buy ready made Matt.
I'd not been over there, so missed that. big_smile At those prices, it ain't even worth considering making ones own, is it. Materials alone would probably cost nigh on half that amount.

#517-02-2012 07:56:59

Take your point about buying one, thing with that is will the mounting holes line up with this winchmax bolt holes, i thought i'd first check out the scrapyard, see what flat steel odds and sods they have, plus the blacksmith in havant may have some bits and off cuts, if not i'll have to buy one, i'll make sure the steels nice and thick!! smile

#617-02-2012 12:10:16

Ah, in that case then... big_smile Blacksmith's or your local engineers will probably be your best bet Ian, for the plate. Doubt you'll find anything 5mm+ thick in the scrapyard, which is the absolute minimum thickness I'd personally aim for. Design wise, a couple of pieces of angle iron as the mounting brackets onto the chassis rail, (believe there are two usable mounting points, bolt points,  on the outside of each chassis rail?), with a steel plate welded onto the top of those as the mounting plate for the winch would be a simple design. That'll give you the basics, and you can phaff about adding the fairings plate/guide and such afterwards.

#717-02-2012 14:09:26

Just pulled the fuses on the spotlights Matt, ready for dismantling the front end, Jaos bars, bumper etc, hopeing to eventually build a winch bumper round the tray once thats fitted and working, ideally i'd like to get hold of some stainless offcuts of 3-4mm plate for the bumper itself, the tray however will be in the region of 6-8mm,
winch arrived today, soddin heavy as f##k!! big_smile  i will be needing a Vince V8 conversion at this rate whistle
i'll keep ya posted on the progress

#817-02-2012 14:13:27

Better wind up the torsion bars  smile

#917-02-2012 17:21:41

Icon - Post link meooo wrote:

Better wind up the torsion bars  smile
their about the only thing i haven't touched (yet) big_smile
Display⁄Hide tags
Tag on Bebo Tag on BlinkList Tag on Connotea Tag on Del.icio.us Tag on Digg Tag on Diigo Tag on Facebook Tag on Google Tag on Linkedin Tag on Mister Wong Tag on MSN Live Tag on Myspace Tag on Newsvine Tag on Reddit Tag on Spurl Tag on StumbleUpon Tag on Technorati Tag on Twitter Tag on Yahoo