Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

• [ You are not logged in ]
  • Members online: 0
Icon - Increase font size Icon - Decrease font size Icon - Reset font size

All fields which are not marked as optional are required. They must be completed before the form can be submitted.

[ Those fields requiring attention are highlighted. ]

#124-02-2012 14:44:42

Injector pump bits

Would anyone happen to have a spare top plate and sensor nut for a 2.4 I.P which they're willing to part with, (or even a complete knackered pump, at a push)?

#224-02-2012 19:21:56

Re: Injector pump bits

I have a couple of pumps all in bits in a box. There must be a lid and nut in there.

big_smile

#324-02-2012 22:25:44

Any chance you could have a look next time you're near the box? big_smile It's not a mad rush thing, but after a nut and lid before I have another go at removing mine to replace the seals.

The sensor nut on mine is absolutely feckin solid, so I may end up damaging, (accidentally or intentionally), the nut and possibly the lid to remove it, hence why I'm after the spares before trying again. big_smile Both yesterday and today, I switched between both the ratchet and tommy bar, trying to remove that nut, and not with either of them could I get enough force on there to crack that thing.

#424-02-2012 22:42:30

Try freezing it with some propane gas, like a plumbers pipe freezing kit.

With all those lathes and other "stuff" you've aquired I'm surprised you can't fabricate new ones yourself smile

#524-02-2012 22:52:57

The freezing method likely wouldn't work well. The pump body would dissipate the effect of freeze spray like nobody's business, and no telling what effect it might have on a twenty odd year old sensor housing. Ran through all of the possible options in my head, and none of them were really feasible, (especially the flame bit big_smile).

#625-02-2012 11:12:37

Get Dawn to undo it...like she does for your jars etc. big_smile

#725-02-2012 11:30:49

big_smile big_smile big_smile

#805-09-2012 15:28:37

People say I take my time. big_smile You managed to dig out a lid and nut yet Tony? big_smile

#905-09-2012 18:08:59

I need a whole pump too unless there is a way to change the back seal without having to send it away

#1011-09-2012 20:37:59

You got it sorted?

What size is that top sensor nut on the pump? Been a while since I last tried undoing it, so trying to avoid having to lug all of the sockets out to try tomorrow.

#1112-09-2012 13:50:55

Not sure what size it is I did all of those last time I rebuilt it. Only reason I had to do I again was because of the send it away for calibration myth and I couldnt afford that so was time to just go for it. Allsealed and lovely now. But why are the bosh seals all green?

Any way I think the nut was 24 mm.

#1212-09-2012 17:31:38

Looks like mine is suffering from the same fate. sad Just tried it after replacing the top seals, and I'm still getting diesel, (I'm assuming it's diesel, as the odour is tainted by all the other crap on the block. Diesel is of blueish green appearance when shining a light on it?) dripping from various places on the sump when it's running. How much of a bitch of a job is it to get the pump out and sort it? You mentioned over on HLS? that Vince has posted some info?

#1312-09-2012 18:00:09

Yours a 2.4? Its not too bad a lot to remove but once you got cambelt off and fuel pump pulley its just 2 bolts holding pump to cam cover side 3 bolts that hold a bracket to pump and block then knjector lines plugs and lots of wiggling along with some blood.

I had it all done in 6 hours but thats because nothing was seized and I had done it 5 months or so before hand.

#1412-09-2012 18:45:34

#1512-09-2012 19:26:05

Cheers. thumbs big_smile Looks like when you take the back plate off, nothing actually goes flying out then, provided you have the pump held vertically, rear side up?

Given the fact that I avoid touching anything timing cover related like the plague as a rule, big_smile any pointers on what I need to do to get the pump out. Should I just dig the info on the Oz site out for a timing belt change, and follow the basics of that?

Btw, forgot to mention. Not sure as to which of the two following things helped in getting that sensor nut off today.

1) Popping a length of malleable iron tube onto the end of the tommy bar for extra leverage.

2) As much as I know better and hence it shouldn't have happened...

the fact that I heated up the nut when I momentarily spot welded the socket to the nut due to the tommy bar handle slipping through the shaft and contacting the battery terminal. whistle That terminal got covered over with a piece of cloth damn sharpish after that.

#1612-09-2012 20:39:37

Get to the timing belt removed stage then go from there. Its a little fiddly and the lower inner injector pipe union is an arse to get at ( I bent the pipes a bit) which I know is wrong ish but they didnt kink and it worked so hey ho.

The pump pulley is timed as is the pump itself, so make sure you get both right. The pump body has a scored line on it where the outer mounting point meets the cam side which also has a line on it, clean it up there and check it out first.

#1712-09-2012 20:49:11

Icon - Post link Matt wrote:

the fact that I heated up the nut when I momentarily spot welded the socket to the nut due to the tommy bar handle slipping through the shaft and contacting the battery terminal. whistle That terminal got covered over with a piece of cloth damn sharpish after that.
lol  lol

Haynes Manual for dummies... "Disconnect Neg terminal before every job"

wink

#1812-09-2012 21:34:01

Icon - Post link muddle wrote:

Get to the timing belt removed stage then go from there. Its a little fiddly and the lower inner injector pipe union is an arse to get at ( I bent the pipes a bit) which I know is wrong ish but they didnt kink and it worked so hey ho.

The pump pulley is timed as is the pump itself, so make sure you get both right. The pump body has a scored line on it where the outer mounting point meets the cam side which also has a line on it, clean it up there and check it out first.
Cheers. smile

Icon - Post link TonyN wrote:

lol  lol

Haynes Manual for dummies... "Disconnect Neg terminal before every job"

wink
What can I say. Inexcusable and I know better. whistle The only reason I left everything connected this time is I thought: "there's only one sensor needs unplugging. What's the point in disconnecting the batteries....". Obviously, I found a point. big_smile Out of 360 degrees though, what's the chance of hitting the 4 or so degrees where that situation could occur. big_smile

#1912-09-2012 21:47:45

Cheers. thumbs big_smile Looks like when you take the back plate off, nothing actually goes flying out then, provided you have the pump held vertically, rear side up?
Correct.
Just press down on the back plate as you remove the four bolts then slowly lift it off.

#2012-09-2012 21:58:29

I did that but one of the washers fell into the pump so had to take it all apart any way. Its a fairly simple thing to put back together.  So not too much of an issue to rebuild if it does go wrong

#2112-09-2012 22:05:36

Icon - Post link Bushwhacker wrote:

Correct.
Just press down on the back plate as you remove the four bolts then slowly lift it off.
Sweet. Cheers Vince. smile How did it manage to get the reputation of being such a hard job? Sounds like there's been a few firms making money out of that one unnecessarily over the years. I also seem to recall 'Stein making it sound like it was a hellish task to do when he turned Bio's? pump into a pile of bits a few years ago. big_smile

#2212-09-2012 22:59:11

Icon - Post link Bushwhacker wrote:

Correct.
Sweet. Cheers Vince. smile How did it manage to get the reputation of being such a hard job? Sounds like there's been a few firms making money out of that one unnecessarily over the years. I also seem to recall 'Stein making it sound like it was a hellish task to do when he turned Bio's? pump into a pile of bits a few years ago. big_smile
His mind was elsewhere................probably. whistle

#2312-09-2012 23:05:37

Just his mind? devilish

#2412-09-2012 23:26:53

He might have done, lol Can't remember, to be fair all the manuals say calibrate the pump after playing with it, I've never had to do mine and didn't fancy experimenting with someone elses pump, so have always just said you're on your own if trying it when it comes up.

Maybe its because the non-EFI pumps have a adjustable thingy going through the rotor plate in the center of the injector outlets, that may be an issue once you undo it, EFI pumps don't have this so maybe just come off no hassle.

#2514-09-2012 12:35:51

Icon - Post link TonyN wrote:

I've never had to do mine and didn't fancy experimenting with someone elses pump, so have always just said you're on your own if trying it when it comes up.
big_smile That's a fair enough approach. A firm which repairs them should know which do and which don't require calibration though, and it sounds like they quoted muddle for recalibration? Sounds like some of them might be adding a few bob on top unnecessarily.
Display⁄Hide tags
Tag on Bebo Tag on BlinkList Tag on Connotea Tag on Del.icio.us Tag on Digg Tag on Diigo Tag on Facebook Tag on Google Tag on Linkedin Tag on Mister Wong Tag on MSN Live Tag on Myspace Tag on Newsvine Tag on Reddit Tag on Spurl Tag on StumbleUpon Tag on Technorati Tag on Twitter Tag on Yahoo