Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

• [ You are not logged in ]
  • Members online: 0
Icon - Increase font size Icon - Decrease font size Icon - Reset font size

All fields which are not marked as optional are required. They must be completed before the form can be submitted.

[ Those fields requiring attention are highlighted. ]

#108-03-2012 03:11:47

Paint stripper

Have I just got a crappy brand here, (Wilkinson's own brand, I believe), or are paint strippers these days a bit crap? I've applied about three layers of the stuff so far to a bit of kit I'm trying to strip, and still a notable portion of the paint is untouched.

#208-03-2012 03:22:17

Re: Paint stripper

hmm

What's the base material ?

Most paint strippers are based on methylene chloride or summat similar but caustic soda can be more effective dependent on what you're stripping - I suspect that it may not be very kind to aluminium or alloy wheels though

PS
The other advantages of caustic soda are that it's CHEAP and you can make the solution as strong as you need (Within limits !)

PPS
If you want to give us a laugh mix up a strong solution and get Gert to take a picture of your face 5 seconds after you breath in a good lungful

lol

#308-03-2012 03:37:01

Cheers pal. Just gas me why don't you.... big_smile Soda's aren't a possibility this time around. The retaining collars for the phosphor bronze bushes are ally, and I can't get those collars out without risking damage to them, so they're stopping in.

#408-03-2012 03:45:25

lol

OK so using it for paint stripping's a non starter in this instance but can you at least discuss the other option with Gert ?  The membership is in dire need of some entertainment ...

devil

#508-03-2012 04:07:23

No! big_smile Just been racking my brains trying to figure out how I know that smell so well, and finally remembered why. big_smile Not caustic soda, but a very close relative. Cat piss. Imagine that stuff at approx. 350 degrees Celcius. Why some people used to let their cats lay on their televisions is beyond me.

#608-03-2012 04:11:25

Btw Bob, how come you're up at this time of morning/night? big_smile

#708-03-2012 07:41:34

If the base your striping is metal (ferrius) caustic will eat into it, try brake fluid (old stuff) or plain cellulose thinners, or acetone,(but not on plastic) shifts most stuff, i have bought the cheaper strippers before, useless!

#808-03-2012 08:10:56

big_smile

You're not the only insomniac Matt, besides which it was our last night here so I had a few drinks and that always means I wake up after a couple of hours kip.  We're flying home today so there's packing to do and just enough time for a decent breakfast too  big_smile

lol

#908-03-2012 13:35:15

Have a good journey back. smile

#1008-03-2012 13:37:53

Icon - Post link Popeye wrote:

try brake fluid (old stuff) or plain cellulose thinners, or acetone,(but not on plastic) shifts most stuff, i have bought the cheaper strippers before, useless!
It's not just me who's less than impressed with them then. big_smile Think I might have some old blake fluid from when I flushed the Gypsy's brakes. I'll give that a whirl.

#1108-03-2012 19:19:34

It works well on most paints unless it's some sort of industrail machinery coating, i use old stuff for removeing the paint from old plastic models, i find even nitromoors stripper dosen't seem as potent as it used to, thought it was just me big_smile

#1208-03-2012 22:16:17

Only had chance to give it a quick test on a small patch, but the initial test seems promising. It softened all of the top coat, allowing it to be easily removed, on the small portion I tested on. It hasn't touched the basecoat, but it looks like a second application should sort that.

The stripper was quite different. Apply it to one area, and it might only soften 20 or 30 percent of the applied to area.

#1311-03-2012 19:57:29

Well, the brake fluid is definitely far better than the paint stripper was Ian. thumbs Does a damned sight better job of softening the paint up, and doesn't leave that crappy coating like the stripper does when it dries. Half tempted to make a tank up now, and just fill it up with brake fluid as a dipping tank, save phaffing about brushing it on.

#1411-03-2012 21:19:47

Make sure you wash it off good and proper afterwards or new paint will just lift straight off

#1511-03-2012 21:27:42

Out of interest what sort of beake fluid do you mean? My brother strips vintage lighting and that sort of things down all the time and has been complaining that the thinners etc. he's been trying are rubbish.

#1611-03-2012 21:37:47

Icon - Post link biosurf wrote:

Out of interest what sort of beake fluid do you mean? My brother strips vintage lighting and that sort of things down all the time and has been complaining that the thinners etc. he's been trying are rubbish.
Some of the newer stuff is supposedly paint friendly, but any old type brake fluid and some of the newer types should work fine. I have a fairly new bottle of synthetic DOT4 outside which still has the warning about flushing paintwork if any gets spilled.

It doesn't cause paint to bubble/lift like stripper does. It just softens it, allowing it to be easily scraped/scrubbed off. The existing bits I'm working on had taken five coats of stripper, and still had a large percentage of paint left. Three coats of brake fluid has completely removed the rest. A test patch I've done on a virgin piece with one application of brake fluid; that has softened the top coat totally, where it was applied, allowing it to come straight off with a scrape. Seems to be the best method is to just brush it on liberally and then leave it for several hours plus. Requires literally no effort to remove it then, judging from the pieces I've done so far.

Icon - Post link meooo wrote:

Make sure you wash it off good and proper afterwards or new paint will just lift straight off
No worries. It'll all be getting rinsed down in hot, soapy water before I paint it.

#1711-03-2012 21:47:25

Lovely. Thanks Matt

#1811-03-2012 21:57:25

I'll try that new stuff when I pop back outside, just to see if the new stuff is as effective as the older stuff. The stuff I'm using at the moment is a mix of new & old, from when I flushed the Gipsy's brake system.

The best part is the total lack of fumes from brake fluid.

#1912-03-2012 08:59:30

The worst part is forgetting its on your hands and touching something that you don't want stripping  sad  sad

#2012-03-2012 11:16:56

That sounds like the voice of experience too. big_smile

#2112-03-2012 12:50:36

Bearing in mind this is Hammerite or something very similar:

http://daemon4x4.org/board/gallery/3/1331554334meddings_stripping3.jpg

That was from one brush load, after it had soaked in for several hours, then lightly scraped with a knife blade edge.

Some of the other bits which are now completely stripped:

http://daemon4x4.org/board/gallery/3/1331554333meddings_stripping2.jpg
http://daemon4x4.org/board/gallery/3/1331554332meddings_stripping1.jpg

The synthetic stuff seems to work too. Did a couple of patches last night with both fluids. Just checked them, and they're both roughly equal on removal. The new stuff I've tried is the bog standard Comma synthetic DOT4 brake & clutch fluid.

This, btw, is the crap which came out of the bottom of that lubricant cylinder above:

http://daemon4x4.org/board/gallery/3/1331180353meddings_oil_sludge.jpg

The sump plug was blocked solid, along with the bottom inch or so of the cylinder. Methinks that hadn't been maintained as it should be. big_smile

#2212-03-2012 13:45:08

Matt mate, seriously, spend some quality time with the wife and kids! roll

#2312-03-2012 15:35:19

Tempting thought.... whistle

#2430-03-2012 21:53:19

The brake fluid definitely works a treat. Found that a couple of coats of the stuff, (each coat left overnight to soak in well), removes pretty much everything.

#2531-03-2012 08:20:30

It'll also free up siezed bolts
Display⁄Hide tags
Tag on Bebo Tag on BlinkList Tag on Connotea Tag on Del.icio.us Tag on Digg Tag on Diigo Tag on Facebook Tag on Google Tag on Linkedin Tag on Mister Wong Tag on MSN Live Tag on Myspace Tag on Newsvine Tag on Reddit Tag on Spurl Tag on StumbleUpon Tag on Technorati Tag on Twitter Tag on Yahoo