Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

Daemon4x4 - 4x4 & Off Road Technical Board

• [ You are not logged in ]
  • Members online: 0
Icon - Increase font size Icon - Decrease font size Icon - Reset font size

All fields which are not marked as optional are required. They must be completed before the form can be submitted.

[ Those fields requiring attention are highlighted. ]

#110-12-2015 15:11:15

Buying a shed

you might recall one of our number buying a boxy rusty transit because it was cheap, well I think i've gone one better (or worse)

One of our regular vineyard customers is a car nut of a particular marque and when he bought the latest one he keep the other car as a second car but it gradually fell out of use.  That was 4 years ago and yesterday he admitted that "her indoors" had given him notice to remove it off the drive before Christmas.

At the end of the conversation I acquired it for the sum of £0 if I get it working and mot'ed all I need do is return his personal plate that is currently marooned on it.

fixing up a 3.0 Alfa 166 shouldn't be too much trouble (lol  lol  lol  lol )

#210-12-2015 16:24:26

Re: Buying a shed

Can you still get new body shells for them?  hmm

#310-12-2015 17:18:22

Sounds like a job for Yeti !

Although there is the well know Panda restorer Vern - http://www.fiatforum.com/members/vmanc

#410-12-2015 17:46:56

You could have got a transit for that money... big_smile  you may have the only vehicle with more rot than mine, good luck!

#510-12-2015 17:52:28

If you listen carefully you can hear the tinworm burping !

#610-12-2015 18:44:16

Icon - Post link meooo wrote:

Can you still get new body shells for them?  hmm
Plenty in scrapyards should it come to that

#710-12-2015 18:49:13

lol

Buy two and then you'd have three rotting car cases  whistle

devil

#810-12-2015 18:51:43

Icon - Post link chillitt wrote:

You could have got a transit for that money... big_smile  you may have the only vehicle with more rot than mine, good luck!
I'll let you know

#910-12-2015 18:53:28

Icon - Post link abecketts wrote:

I'll let you know
If  you need one, I have a joggler here.

#1010-12-2015 18:55:00

Icon - Post link Predictable Bob wrote:

lol

Buy two and then you'd have three rotting car cases  whistle

devil
You're the only bloke I know who does it in three's, have you done your Christmas shopping for the kiddies yet?  big_smile

#1111-12-2015 01:13:21

Ooooooh that was definitely below the belt  whistle

I like it  devilish  devilish

#1211-12-2015 07:09:05

Icon - Post link Brummie wrote:

Ooooooh that was definitely below the belt  whistle

You see Brummie I can play the batsard now and again.....

I like it  devilish  devilish

#1311-12-2015 12:22:19

have now hauled it back home, checking for terminal tin worm at the moment

#1411-12-2015 12:39:06

If the worm is terminal, it could be a kit car donor.... Just saying. whistle

#1511-12-2015 12:56:53

If the worm is terminal, it could be a kit car donor.... Just saying. whistle
like your thinking.......

#1611-12-2015 13:02:09

lol

They're 23 now and you'd think they'd be self sufficient but herself insists they live at home and we spend a fortune on presents !

On the other hand the runt of the litter bought me a rather nice Yaxell Ran Damascus steel carving knife for my birthday so it works both ways ...

whistle

#1711-12-2015 16:10:39

That's worrying  yikes

Are you allowed sharp implements now?  whistle

#1811-12-2015 17:03:27

Let me guess ............ The only thing stopping it collapsing in a heap is the tin worms holding hands  whistle

#1911-12-2015 18:14:08

lol

VERY sharp implements John ...

I've got a 36001G 165mm Santoku and a 36009 255mm Slicing so far - the best knives I've ever used !  They're made from 69 layers of Damascus steel with a core of VG10, Cobalt, Molybdenum, Vanadium stainless steel hardened to Rockwell 61 - which means they hold an edge, cut through anything with ease and they look beautiful too   big_smile

http://www.yaxell.co.jp/global/products

cool

#2012-12-2015 00:18:36

Icon - Post link Predictable Bob wrote:

lol

They're 23 now and you'd think they'd be self sufficient but herself insists they live at home and we spend a fortune on presents !

On the other hand the runt of the litter bought me a rather nice Yaxell Ran Damascus steel carving knife for my birthday so it works both ways ...

whistle
you've got 3 23 year olds in your house?

Desperately trying to shift our almost 20 year old out so he gets on with life, I think a thunderbolt on high might be needed.

#2112-12-2015 00:34:00

Hauled the car off the guys drive this morning and onto a trailer, things didn't start too well as the car was being pulled backwards onto the trailer the towing eye gave our, it looked rather rusty....

Back at base a cursory inspection didn't show extensive tin worm so off the trailer it came, tyres were inflated and it was jacked up, the plastic sill covers were removed and all was clear and virtually rust free.  The engine bay was revealed by taking off the myriad of bits of plastic that covered it up and the inner wings looked good, all the doors are rot free, the boot and especially the spare wheel well was rot free.  The front shock absorber mounts were also rust free.  The only negative is the car was parked up against some vegetation and the frame holding the radiator looks very rusty and has in part detatched itself from the chassis but that's not structural.

The front wheels turned with no grinding and scraping noises so onto the engine, it has oil, some water (in the right places) so a battery was fitted and all the electrics came on including the alarm which was darn loud.  Fuel was added and the engine turned over on I think the second attempt it fired up and spluttered along for a bit.  It then started again and ran ok for about 10 minutes.  Inside the car all the electrics worked, seats, sat nav, windows and radio

So it's not heading straight down the hill tomorrow to the scrappy instead more fuel and some fuel cleaner and a longer run up to see how it settles down and it will also get a good wash and brush up to remove the green algae off the paint work.  The bonnet is not in a good way, lacquer has gone and it looks like folks have been ice skating on it, other panels are a bit rough but its not the end of the world.

Once clean with some help from Ian (not Yeti) it will come off the axle stands and will try driving it around the car park, if that works then off for an MOT to see just how much needs doing, my guess is as follows;

discs, pads and brake pipes
New radiator and frame
exhaust is blowing
side repeater indicators
wiper blades
at least a couple of shock absorbers
bushes galore (steady)

After that I can make a judgement call on scrap or not to scrap

#2212-12-2015 09:36:22

Sounds like you might have ben, and will now need to buy another as a donor  devilish

#2312-12-2015 13:37:13

lol

I'm not ready to drop kick our three yet - they're all working and looking for proper jobs so I've nowt much to complain about apart from the bitch from hell that descends on us every 4 weeks ...

whistle

#2413-12-2015 19:44:39

The shed now moves, the brakes will be sorted tomorrow and then it can go in for an MOT and then we can have a good laugh.....

#2513-12-2015 21:48:45

Good luck, I hope the failure list is short or non existent smile

Display⁄Hide tags
Tag on Bebo Tag on BlinkList Tag on Connotea Tag on Del.icio.us Tag on Digg Tag on Diigo Tag on Facebook Tag on Google Tag on Linkedin Tag on Mister Wong Tag on MSN Live Tag on Myspace Tag on Newsvine Tag on Reddit Tag on Spurl Tag on StumbleUpon Tag on Technorati Tag on Twitter Tag on Yahoo